Friday, March 04, 2005

New book

I just started reading Reimagining Spiritual Formation, by Doug Pagitt, along with others from Solomon's Porch. I thought I would include some thoughts from the book on this blog. Now I realize that you who read this blog think I never finish reading books...and, you're pretty much right on. I promise to try to do better...maybe.

I've gone into this church experience being very wary toward church communities, but my mind has been changed person by person. I not only trust the poeple at church, but I feel more and more drawn to them. I never thought I would let myself get so involved emotionally or socially in a church (38).

This quote, from Erin, encourages me to keep doing what I am doing. One thought I've had while reading this is that in order to invite others into this kind of community, I first must enter in myself.

The efforts of Solomon's Porch began, and remain, our attempt to be people of useful faith - a blessing to the world (44).

I liked that they used the word useful before they used the word blessing. We talk about wanting to be a blessing to the world. I think it might be helpful for me to think in terms of simpy being useful. We like people who are useful. Am I being useful to the people in my oikos (family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc.)? If we become useful to the world, then we will in fact be a blessing.


In other news, playoffs start tomorrow. We are the sixth seed and will be playing the 3rd seed, a team that beat us by four points. I think we can take them.

No comments: