Friday, July 28, 2006

Catching Up

I've been really busy lately. It's not that I've given up on blogging. It's just very difficult, once I've procrastinated this long, to get "caught up." So...I'm just going to write a little bit, just to get back in the swing of things.

As I said, things have been pretty hectic. Jason and Barb arrived in Memphis a few weeks ago. It's GREAT to have them here. I'll write more on that later. I have about two more months at my accounting job. The corporate office is relocating to Des Moines, so we're being laid off. A severance package is involved, so it's not that bad. My plan is to stay through the transition, but it's getting more complicated now that others are leaving.

I applied for the executive director position for the Cooper-Young Association around a month ago. I had no idea if I was qualified for the job. I didn't get it, but I was the runner-up, for whatever that's worth. Actually, it's worth a lot. I had two interviews with the board officers, which was great. I also got an invitation to join the board soon.

Adam is doing great. I'll post pictures soon! He is such a fun little boy. I love spending time with him. He is truly a gift from God.

Mandy just landed a great part-time job in a Memphis City school. She is going to be co-teaching with a lady who could be a great mentor for her. She also just found out that she's eligible for benefits!

I've been reading a lot lately. I think part of the reason I've been frustrated with not blogging is that I've been doing a lot of intaking, but haven't taken the time to reflect (which often comes through writing). I just finished up Rob Bell's Velvet Elvis. Great read! I've also gotten into Tim Keller, pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan. I heard a sermon from a conference at Mars Hill, and, though it was the first time I had ever heard or read anything by him, I felt like I had been reading him for a long time. I finally realized the reason: many of the people who have influenced me have been influenced by him. Mandy and I are reading Blue Like Jazz, by Donald Miller. It's very refreshing.

I think I'll stop now. More to come soon - I promise.

No comments: