Friday, October 12, 2012

When God Changes a Heart

I posted a few months ago about Adam becoming a Christian.  I just wanted to give a quick update on how things have been going.  Sometimes I think I forget that God truly brings transformation to a heart that is open.  Adam is seven, so it's not like he had this sordid past that has now been changed.  But I've still seen transformation.  He is very open to the things of God.  Open as well as interested.  He's been reading a lot of the Bible, memorizing Scripture, and just yesterday we got Sally Lloyd-Jones' new book, Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing.  She's the author of the Jesus Storybook Bible, which I recommend to everyone, whether you have children or not.  This is him reading last night instead of eating.




What I love is that this is not religion.  Adam didn't become a Christian and then we started telling him all of the things he now needs to do to prove himself to God.  No, God actually changes hearts.  Yesterday he was reading about the difference between trusting and trying when it comes to God.  He understands that he can trust God, and didn't realize that some people think they have to try when it comes to God's love and approval.  That truth only comes from God.  How do I know that?  Because the lie that we have to prove ourselves to God (religion) is so pervasive.

One more story...

Wednesday night we kicked off the Midtown Prayer Collective with a night of worship and prayer.  It went from 7:30 until 9:00, but because fall break started yesterday, we decided to let the kids stay up and go.  Micah was pretty fidgety, but Adam, though he was tired, was pretty caught up in it all.  Yesterday morning I asked him what he thought about the night.  His response: I loved it!

I am so thankful to God for that.  Let me say it again.  I am so full right now because of what God is doing in Adam's heart.  I will not take that for granted, and I will allow God to do a work in my heart as a result.  He's a good God, and He's an active God.  I pray that during this season of prayer we will all place ourselves in a posture where we can receive from Him.

No comments: