Saturday, January 05, 2008

Adam's Trip to the Hospital

Yesterday Adam fell while playing at the Children's Museum. The cut was right above his eyes. It was small, but Mandy said that it bled a lot. Mandy called me and I met them at the Children's Museum. About an hour later we ended up at Lebonheur. Five hours and $100 later, we were home with with some Neosporin and a Band Aid. I don't know about you, but that seems a little extreme to me. I don't know if it's just my sense of entitlement, or if the system is just this bad. I've heard stories about people in other parts of the world waiting all day to get basic medical care, so I'm grateful that it wasn't longer than five hours. I'm also grateful that he wasn't more seriously hurt. There were lots of other kids there who had much more serious issues.

I don't know if it's the same way with all other emergency rooms throughout Memphis, or if it's just this way here in the heart of the city. I think we'll do a little research before we have to do this again.

I do have to praise Adam, though. He was such a trooper. He was much more patient than Mandy and I were, and he's the one who was hurt. I was very proud of him.

No comments: