Monday, January 07, 2008

2007 Top Ten List: Books for 2008

Here's my final Top 10 list. These are some books on my shelf that I'm hoping to read (or reread) this year...

  1. Community and Growth, by Jean Vanier
  2. The Radical Wesley & Patters for Church Renewal, by Howard Snyder
  3. Renovation of the Heart, by Dallas Willard
  4. Seeking the Face of God, by Gary Thomas
  5. Breaking the Missional Code, by Ed Stetzer & David Putman
  6. A Theology as Big as the City, by Ray Bakke
  7. Ministries of Mercy, by Tim Keller
  8. unChristian, by David Kinnaman & Gabe Lyons
  9. The Gospel in a Pluralist Society, by Leslie Newbigin
  10. The Externally Focused Church, by Rick Rusaw & Eric Swanson
  11. The Confessions, by Saint Augustine
  12. Confessions of a Pastor, by Craig Groeschel
  13. Money, Possessions & Eternity, by Randy Alcorn
  14. Extraordinary Leaders in Extraordinary Times, edited by H. Stanley Wood
  15. The Bible, or at least most of it - here is our church's Bible reading plan for this year

1 comment:

Mark (aka pastor guy) said...

Renovation of the Heart was good but SLOW reading - I found myself drawn back to Divine Conspiracy as I read it.

Gary Thomas is always good & Seeking the Face of God was very helpful in my own walk w/God. (Thanks again for introducing me to him so many years ago - wow, that would have been the first tc@hh retreat, sometime in 1999!)

I'm in the middle of unChristian, which is really forcing me to pray about what I'll be teaching & emphasizing this year as a pastor.

Confessions of a Pastor has some really good stuff in it... it's not as weighty as some of the other books you've listed.

Money, Possessions & Eternity is Randy Alcorn at his best - well-researched & thought out, provocative, and utterly Biblical.

The Bible... yeah, that's the best of the bunch. :-)