Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Hebrews 3 & 4

Scripture
Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession.  For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.  Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.          Hebrews 4:14-16

Observation
Fully divine AND fully human!  Jesus faced every temptation that we will ever face, so He understands our condition.  This is His humanity.  Yet Jesus never sinned.  He was victorious (I think back to yesterday's passage that speaks of Jesus destroying the devil).  This is His divinity. It is because of both His humanity and divinity that we are able to, in confidence, approach God's throne, to receive mercy, grace and help in time of need.

Application
Not understanding what Jesus did for me often prevents me from both persevering (v.14) and asking for help (v.16).  I start to believe lies, lies that Satan feeds me.  On the flip side, I begin to understand what Jesus did for me when I read the Bible (Heb. 4:12-13).  

Prayer
Jesus, may the work that You accomplished in Your life, death and resurrection consume my life.  May it reach from my head to my heart, and may it transform my daily living.  I'm thankful that You understand what I go through as a human, yet I am also very thankful that You are God.  If You were only human, You might understand, but You couldn't really do much to help my pitiful predicament.  However, because You are God, You beckon me to the throne of grace, where I find the true rest, grace, mercy and help that I so need.   

No comments: