Friday, October 20, 2006

Reflections on Mary

I have just started working my way through the New Testament. I'm using The Daily Bible. The New Testament begins on October 15 and goes through the end of the year. Today's reading was on the birth of John and Jesus. I've heard this story all of my life, and at times I've glazed over it because it's been too familiar. Rather than waiting until December, I've been excited to begin meditating on it now, in October.

Mary's story blows me away. Here is this young teenager who obviously is a follower of God. She is engaged to a man named Joseph. One day an angel named Gabriel shows up and tells her that she is going to have a baby, and that baby will be named Jesus. Not only that, but this baby will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High...and his kingdom will never end.

She then asks the obvious question: "How will this happen since I am a virgin?" Good question, right? Crazy response!

"The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you."

What do you do with a response like that?

Here's what Mary does with a response like that:

"I am the Lord's servant. May it be to me as you have said."

That is nothing short of amazing. She has such faith in God, and that faith leads to obedience.

No comments: