Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Night Away for Study and Prayer

I've been learning this year that I need times away in order to be a good teacher. Like all of us, I'm bombarded by details throughout the day. And I've found that for me, there is a huge need for me to keep the big picture in mind at all times. I am getting ready to start a series on the Gospel of Luke, and I told Mandy last week that I needed to get away to do some more studying, planning, and praying. She thought that was a great idea. Last Thursday we had our church planting network meeting, and John Carroll mentioned that he goes to St. Columba's Episcopal Retreat Center once a month. I got the info from him, called later that day, and scheduled my retreat.

Last night I arrived around 5:00, armed with my Bible, notebook, laptop, some books, some leftover Chinese food, and some coffee. My goal was to come away with a week by week outline of the series. Last night I read through Luke again, and jotted down more notes. This morning I began the process of compiling those notes. I am thankful that as I prepare to leave this morning, I have an outline of 21 sermons.

The theme for this study is "Christianity: Religion or Revolution?" Jake Fasano has once again designed a visual for us to use.

The series begins next Sunday and will run a few weeks past Easter. I'll continue to post on the study as we go along, but here are some of the resources I'm using.

  • The Prodigal God, Tim Keller
  • Luke for Everyone, NT Wright
  • Jesus in the Margins, Rick McKinley
  • This Beautiful Mess, Rick McKinley
  • The Myth of a Christian Religion, Greg Boyd
  • Money, Possessions & Eternity, Randy Alcorn
  • The Politics of Jesus, John Yoder
  • ReJesus, Michael Frost & Allen Hirsch
  • The Barbarian Way, Erwin McManus

No comments: