Wednesday, October 20, 2010

How to Grill a Good Steak


I won't go as far as to say that a sign of manhood is being able to grill a good steak, but I will say that every man I know wants to be able to grill a good steak.

Last Spring I ordered some steaks from Omaha Steaks. Mandy and I are trying to have a date night at least every other week after we put the kids to bed. So last night I decided to grill the last of my steaks, this time filet mignon. Steaks intimidate me, in part because they are so darn expensive but also because I've had my share of poorly grilled steak. Oh yeah...and it was date night. So I made the wise choice to consult the pros.

The good news is that it turned out to be the best steak I've ever grilled. Here's the basics:
  • Season with a little salt and pepper
  • Let it sit out for awhile (15 minutes in my case)
  • Let the grill get very hot
  • Place the steaks on the grill
  • Leave the grill open while cooking
  • After 3 minutes, rotate 90 degrees
  • Wait 3 minutes, then flip
  • After another 3, rotate 90 degrees
  • 3 more minutes, then off the grill
  • Don't cut into it. Let it sit for another 3 minutes
  • Enjoy!

2 comments:

Prahlad said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Steak secret. Season and sear the steak both sides to your liking. Then cook in the microwave until interior is done.
Result simple perfection.