Friday, February 11, 2011

Cutting the Cord

Last month I cancelled my cable TV service. I've hesitated writing about it because I wanted to make sure we didn't go through any sort of withdrawal. I'm happy to report that we've been fine. We haven't really missed it that much, but I know that we are going to enjoy the $65 savings every month.

On our back TV (our playroom) we have a Wii, which gives the ability to watch Netflix. This is primarily what the kids watch. They have their favorite shows on there, and so with that combined with a VCR and DVD player, they are all set. On our main TV in the front room we have an over-the-air (OTR) antenna so that we can watch our local channels, plus we have a DVD player and a Roku XDS.

The Roku is pretty amazing. Our favorite channels are Netflix, Hulu Plus, HGTV, Newscaster, NBA, Pandora, BaebleMusic, and Mp3Tunes. I also have an external hard drive hooked up so that I can listen to my music and watch movies that were on my PC. Out of all of those channels, the only thing we pay for is Netflix and Hulu Plus (about $18).

2 comments:

Syd said...

Hey Robert - Can you watch Grizz games through the Roku? Andy and I are thinking about ditching cable, too but we really like being able to watch Grizz games.

Thanks!
Sydney

Robert said...

I haven't figured that out yet. I can watch college games on ESPN 3, but they don't show much NBA. There is an NBA channel on the Roku, and you can watch clips for free. You can sign up for the NBA package, but I'm not sure how much it is. If you have that you can watch any game.