Tuesday, January 01, 2019

Books Read - December 2018

Last December I set a goal to read 30 books. I had never set a goal like this before, but I wanted accountability. I ended the year having read 45 books, which I am very pleased with. There were two takeaways from the goal setting. First, it was great motivation to start a new book. Second, and even more important, it was great motivation to finish a book before starting a new book. That's my normal problem. I start a lot of books. The problem is finishing. Setting a goal, and then providing updates on that goal, went a long way in helping me read more and thus better myself.

So here are the five books I read in December...

Long-Distance Real Estate Investing, by David Greene
David Greene is the new co-host of the Bigger Pockets podcast, which is one of my favorite podcasts. I heard him interviewed in a podcast sometime in 2017 and was immediately impressed by his work ethic and organization. I'm not so much a long-distance investor, but I found a lot of gems in this book that help me nonetheless.

Falling Upward, by Richard Rohr
I'll be the first to admit that this one took me awhile to work through. I find that Rohr is one of those right place right time books. It takes me a little while to get truly engaged. But once I do, I find words that cause me to breathe more deeply.

Of Blood and Bone, by Nora Roberts
This is the sequel to Year One. Though not as good as the first, still a page turner.

The Lions of Lucerne, by Brad Thor
This is book 1 of a rather large series by Brad Thor. I really like political thrillers. This one wasn't amazing, but it was good enough that I'll probably read others by him.

West Cork, by Sam Bungey & Jennifer Forde
This was an audible exclusive. It's more like a podcast (think Serial) than a book, but I'm still counting it :)  It's a fascinating true crime story set in southern Ireland.

No comments: