Wednesday, May 25, 2005

A good lesson

On Sunday our house church community met at our place. Eric shared a story that I've been thinking about since our meeting. He works with the homeless in San Francisco. They were having a meal one night, and, while he was working in the kitchen, he saw a man walk to the sink, pick up the sponge, and clean his shoes. Eric just sat there stunned, not even knowing what to say. His response was something like, "at least don't put it back in the sink." The guy walked past him without saying a word.

Pause

I thought that was a pretty good response. I might have said something like this: "You've got to be kidding me," or "have you lost your freakin' mind?"

Pause

Eric kind of floored me with what he said next.

He said that in his disgust and frustration he totally missed this man's humanity. He felt that he had failed, that he had missed an opportunity.

I admired Eric for his immediate discernment. How many times have I responded like this, yet been blind to the reality of what I was doing?

I'm sitting at Zocalo (a local coffee shop) and just read this.

Wonder if God's trying to speak to me.

No comments: