Wednesday, June 01, 2005

the great bear Porthos

I'm speaking in a church planting class tomorrow at Golden Gate Seminary. I think I'll lead a discussion on paradigm shifts and the need for dreaming/imagination/creativity. Tonight Mandy and I watched the movie Finding Neverland...while I was working on some notes for the discussion. There's one scene that really struck me. It's the first time that James has met the Davies family, and he's about to put on the first of his many shows.

Peter
What did you bring me over here for? This is absurd. It's just a dog.
James
Just a dog? Just? Porthos dreams of being a bear and you want to dash those dreams by saying he's just a dog? What a horrible candle-snuffing word. It's just like saying, he can't climb that mountain, he's just a man. Or, that is not a diamond, it's just a rock. Just...
Peter
Fine then. Turn him into a bear. If you can.
James
With those eyes, my bonny lad, i'm afraid you would never see it. However with just a wee bit of imagination, I can turn around right now, and see the great bear Porthos.

No comments: