Sunday, June 19, 2005

Reflections

We all got to leave the hospital last Friday. Everyone is doing pretty well. I didn't have internet access at the hospital, so here are a couple of journal entries.

June 14, 2005, 10:45 am
Adam is now a little over 15 hours old and is doing great. I’ve always been told that you fall head over heels in love with your child as soon as you meet him or her. I’m realizing that this is a major understatement. There were quite a few babies born yesterday, and, because Mandy had to share rooms with another mom, I got kicked out. Mandy was ok with this, and it meant I got a little more sleep, but it was hard. This morning I had to go to Zocalo to upload a bunch of pictures and email them out to a bunch of people because my network was acting crazy. Then I had to bring Jack into the groomer at 8:30. I could not wait to get to the hospital to see Adam and Mandy. I kind of feel like I’m floating right now, like I’m in a dream world. It’s a pretty amazing feeling. Hopefully I’ll be able to better put these feelings into words sometime soon.


June 16, 2005, 3:30 pm
While sitting in the cafeteria yesterday I ran into a guy I had met a month or so back. He congratulated me on becoming a father, then asked me to pray for his mother, who was in the hospital with cancer. He said that when he is on the elevator, he always loves it when the door opens up on the second floor (maternity ward), because that's where life is. Those on the second floor are probably the only ones who are happy about being in the hospital. Later that day I was in the main lobby and saw two kids waiting to hear how surgery went on their dad. That really put things into perspective for me. Here I was with feelings of excitement and joy, while these two brothers no doubt had feelings of fear and confusion.

No comments: