Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Church as Subversive Community

On Sunday evening I'll be at my parent's church. Mandy and I are going to lead worship, and then I'm going to share about Project Mustard Seed. As I was working on the talk this afternoon, I reread an article that has influenced me about as much as anything else I've read over the past few years. The article is by Mike Bishop, a member of a Vineyard community in West Palm Beach, FL. The article is called "The Church as Subversive Community."

I saw that he had a blog, so I decided to check it out. I came to a post that really got my attention. As we're beginning a new life in Cooper-Young, I think there are some practical points that I need to hear. Here are a few of them:

1. Expect to make mistakes. They are all covered.
2. We need to quit praying from a place of fear. Begin to pray from a place of thanksgiving and then ask, “God, what are you already doing?”
3.
Begin practicing awareness.
4.
We cannot afford to live in A, work in B, and worship in C.
5.
Define your life as a contribution and then live there.


No comments: