Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Tempin'

After college I worked for a Temp Agency for awhile. Eight years later, and one degree more, I'm back in the temp world, and, as the classic song goes, "you know it's hard out there for a temp."

I'm currently working full-time doing accounts payable for a company in east memphis. I'm hoping it might turn into a permanent part-time position. It's been a little frustrating that I'm doing this again. Actually, it's mostly just hurt my pride. I'm making a little more than a third of what I made in the Bay Area, and I'm making a little more than half of what we pay our employees at the tutoring network.

But...it's honest work. So I'm not pimping. I'm temping.

In all honesty, I know that this is part of what God wants to work in me. What am I willing to do for the mission that He's called me to? He's been teaching me so much in the little time I have to study. The last two mornings I've woken up before 6:00 and have had lots of time to read, pray, and write. Yesterday I spent my lunch break at Starbucks writing. Most wouldn't consider that a lunch break, but it's been really good for me. It's energized me.

I'm also reading The Divine Conspiracy. In the book, Dallas Willard writes that discipleship is "learning from Jesus to live my life as he would live my lilfe if he were I." I'm learning how to do my job as if Jesus were doing my job. Brother Lawrence wrote that discipleship occurs in the mundane and the ordinary. I think that's a lot of what I need to learn right now.

No comments: