Thursday, March 27, 2008

Proverbs 1-2

Scripture
...then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding; he stores up sound wisdom for the upright; he is a shield to those who walk in integrity, guarding the paths of justice and watching over the way of his saints. Then you will understand righteousness and justice and equity, every good path; for wisdom will come into your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. Proverbs 2:5-10

Observation
Statements with the word "then" in them usually begin with the word "if." Solomon says that it is possible to understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God, but only if we do certain things:
  • Receive my words
  • Treasure up my commandments
  • Make your ear attentive to wisdom
  • Incline your heart to understanding
  • Call out for insight;raise your voice for understanding
  • Seek it as if you were seeking for silver or hidden treasures
Application
It's one thing to ask for wisdom. It's something entirely different to want it this bad. Do I desire wisdom, knowledge and understanding this bad? In Proverbs 1:20-21 we see that Wisdom wants to be found. She's not playing hard to get. But there are still things that I must do in order to receive her.

Receive my word/Treasure up my commandments (Am I coming to God every day, asking Him to speak to me?/Am I meditating on the word of God?)

Make your ear attentive to wisdom/Incline your heart to understanding (Am I in a place to receive from God? Is my heart pure? Have I confessed my sins to Him?

Call out for insight;raise your voice for understanding (Am I asking? James said that we do not have because we have not asked)

Seek it as if you were seeking for silver or hidden treasures (Am I willing to do whatever it takes to receive what God wants for my life? Sometimes God wants me to simply sit and receive. Other times, though, God wants me to seek after it with everything that I've got.)

Prayer
Father, thank you for speaking to me this morning through your holy Scriptures. It is so good to hear from You. I pray that these words would go with me throughout my day. Amen.

No comments: