Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Phases of Friends

Mandy's final project before Micah comes has been to burn all of our VHS tapes to DVD. This morning we watched our wedding. It was the first time that Adam had seen it. At the beginning I told him that Mommy was hiding in the back, and that when she appeared, she was going to be dressed in white and would look very pretty beautiful (he always uses those words together). Needless to say, he was very excited!

As we watched, Mandy pointed out that all of my groomsmen now live outside of Tennessee. The funny thing is that while I was in California, most of them lived in Tennessee. Anyway, it got me thinking about the life stages we all go with, and the friends that we have as we go through those stages. At our wedding, our high school and college friends were with us, but we also had many of our newer friends from Nashville, where we spent our first year of marriage. During that time in Nashville, I began to lose touch with my college buddies. Then we moved to California, met new friends, and once again lost touch with friends.

Now that we're back in Tennessee, it's happening all over again, though we've been able to reconnect with friends here (facebook has a little something to do with that). I realize that I'm not very good at keeping up these relationships, especially when long distance is involved. I know that some of that is inevitable, but some of that is also just part of my personality.

In each phase of life, Mandy and I have been blessed to have some very significant friendships, and I'm very grateful for that.

No comments: