Tuesday, April 27, 2010

You Can Change 7

God is great - so we do not have to be in control
This is the first of four truths that Chester writes about in chapter 5 of You Can Change. Here's how he begins this section:

Traveling at the speed of light (186,000 miles a second), you would encircle the earth seven times in one second and pass the moon in two seconds. At this speed it would take you 4.3 years to reach our nearest star and 100,000 years to cross our galaxy. There are thought to be at least 100,000,000,000 galaxies in the universe. It would take 2,000,000 light-years to reach the next closest galaxy and 20,000,000 to reach the next cluster of galaxies. And you have still only just begun to explore the universe.

Oh, how my heart needs to know this beyond anything else. God is so much bigger than I realize! In light of this, why do I so often feel that I have to make things happen. Why do I feel like I have to be in control? This is why we end up stressed. It's because we quickly learn that we're not in control, that we can't "make" things happen. Yet this is an amazing realization if we have a grand view of God.

This is why I so love Psalm 62:11-12. It's one thing for God to be strong, for God to be able to help me. It's another thing for Him to also be loving, for Him to want to help me!

One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard:
that you, O God, are strong,
and that you, O Lord, are loving.

No comments: