Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Epic

Today I was reading from John Eldredge's little book, Epic. I gave it to a few friends this year for Christmas. I usually do not recommend, let alone give as a gift, books that I haven't read. I felt that I pretty much knew what he was saying in this one, since it's based on Waking the Dead (actually, I haven't finished that one either, but that's another story).

In the prologue Eldredge talks a lot about Story.

(Stories) go far deeper than entertainment, by the way. Stories nourish us. They provide a kind of food that the soul craves. "Stories are equipment for living," says Hollywood screenwriting teacher Robert McKee. he believes that we go to the movies because we hope to find in someone else's story something that will help us understand our own. We go "to live in a fictional reality that illuminates our daily reality" (5).

On another topic, last night Mandy and I went to Costco, and I purchased a 12-pack of Russell Athletic Crew socks. I must say that they are some of the best socks I've ever owned. If you're in the market for white socks anytime soon, I highly recommend these. Peace out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, in regards to McKee's statement, what does it say about me that I enjoy horror movies a lot?

-Paul