Saturday, July 02, 2005

Make Poverty History

I think Alan Creech has it right. The point is transformation. Tonight I've been watching the Live 8 special. A few days ago I saw the documentary The Corporation. A couple of months ago I saw Hotel Rwanda. Through each of these, and through many other voices, God has spoken to me. I have spent most of my life in ignorance. Perhaps much of this has not been my fault. But now I have to make a choice of how I am going to live my life. I once heard a guy named Shane Claiborne say that the problem is not that we don't care about poor people, but that we don't know poor people.

My other thought has been that the church is not at the forefront of fighting evils in the world such as poverty. The followers of Jesus should be leading the charge with creativity and passion. Yet, it often seems that we're lagging behind. This must change. We must change.


Here's the link to the Live 8 site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The problem is corrupt governments. It's they who keep their citizens in poverty. We continuously throw aid to these countries and yet nothing comes of it. The corrupt communist countries in Africa and other places never alow the aid to get the people who need it. Forgiving the debt of these countries is one way to help, but until these governments are overthrown, I'm afraid that little progress will be made.