Monday, April 07, 2008

The Church of Irresistible Influence 1

I just started reading The Church of Irresistible Influence, by Robert Lewis. Here's a quote from the book.

In my quest to discern how my pastoral ministry could be more effective, I saw that more preaching is not the answer to today's spiritual hunger. Neither is the writing of more books, the hosting of more conferences, better technology, or special effects. For the most part, we are simply talking to ourselves. Meanwhile, the church grows increasingly isolated from its community and the culture, glorying in a biblical "witness" it often does not really possess.

Then I looked at some of the early attempts by our church at serving and caring for our community.
  • I noticed the changed lives that resulted from members investing their lives in helping families in a low-income area known as Eastgate.
  • I observed the impact of doctors from our church who set up a medical clinic at a home for unwed mothers.
  • I felt a sense of God's pleasure as I joined hundreds of our members as we went out into the community one Saturday to clean up neighborhoods, repair homes, and complete other projects.
  • I noted that city leaders were beginning to view Fellowship Bible Church as a force for good in the community.
  • And wonderfully, I saw people who were formerly hardened to, and skeptical of, the gospel soften and embrace Christ (47).

No comments: