Tuesday, April 01, 2008

James 1-2

Today we begin reading the book of James, and I decided that this would be another great book to blog my way through. I was talking with a friend the other day, and we both agreed that some days we read and it's a little dry. And then James comes along, and it's difficult to find only one thing to write about. This little letter is full of practical words from the Lord. In chapters 1 and 2 alone, I felt that there were three or four things that were highlighted this morning. I guess I'll have to pick one (not a bad problem to have).

Scripture
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. James 1:17

Observation
Two things about this verse jump out at me. The first is the word "Every." Anything in this world that is good, perfect, beautiful, generous, free, etc. comes from God. This applies to all people. It doesn't matter whether that person is a follower of Jesus or not; if it's good, it's from God! The question is, "What is our response?" That's where worship comes in. I should recognize that every good gift comes from my Father, and my response should be worship and gratitude. The second thing about this verse that jumped out at me is the reminder that God does not change. More important, His goodness and generosity will not change. It's almost as if it's impossible for this to change with God. And once again, the response is worship!

Application
What will my response be to God today? Will it be indifference? Will I take His work for granted? Or will I worship Him?

Prayer
Father, I thank you for your goodness and provision in my life. I know that I take your good work for granted so often. Help that to not be the case today. My I worship you through my words and my actions today.

No comments: