Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Church Planting Journey to Memphis

This afternoon I decided to write a little in my journal. I began a Word template journal on May 17, 2000. The past two or three years I haven't written as much, probably due to writing more on the blog. Of course, from time to time I go to the journal since it's not open to the entire world like my blog.

After writing a bit, I started scanning through the 80 or so pages and came across a reference to Memphis on December 31, 2001. When Mandy and I moved to the S.F. Bay Area in August, 2000, neither of us had any idea where we would end up after seminary. At the time, I remember thinking it would be anywhere but back to the south.

It is so good to be reminded of the journey that we have been on for so long, even when we had no idea that we were even on it!

Mandy and I spent a couple of days in Memphis, and took a little trip into the Midtown area. We wanted to see how we felt there. I had told her that Midtown reminded me of the Central West End area of St. Louis. It seems to me that with so many people (and churches) moving out east, Midtown would be a good place to start a church, especially if young people are moving back into the area as I had been told. It was so good just to talk about the possibilities of being close to home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I honestly have no recollection of visiting Midtown then or those conversations! I'm glad you journaled about it. It is very cool to see God's hand leading us even four years before we actually moved here.

-Mandy