Thursday, April 03, 2008

James 5

Scripture
The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth. Then he prayed again, and heaven gave rain, and the earth bore its fruit.

Observation
I love the way James is so matter-of-fact about this story. Do I believe that prayer is this powerful? What do I think about this story with Elijah? Do I believe that God works in the same manner today?

Application
Craig Groeschel defines a practical atheist as "one who believes God exists but behaves as though he does not." Groeschel says that as ministers, this is worked out when we "believe that God exists, but we do ministry as though he does not." If I'm being honest, I am often a practical atheist, especially when it comes to matters such as the one that James writes about. I've been thinking a lot about the passage in 2 Corinthians where Paul says that some people are prevented from seeing Christ because their minds have been blinded by Satan (2 Corinthians 4:1-6). Prayer is more vital than I have ever realized, yet, before I pray, I have to believe that prayer works, that God desires to do the impossible when we pray.

Prayer
Father, help me to put my faith in You today, especially in this matter. I believe, now help my unbelief. (Once again, I'm so thankful that I can say those types of prayers to You). We need to see you do what only You can do here in Midtown. I pray that You would make us into a desperate people, Father, and I pray that we would see Your great power worked among us.

No comments: